Players of People's postcode lottery supporting women in Iraq
Responding to the escalating challenges facing women in Iraq
Beginning in February 2018, we were delighted to join forces with players of People’s Postcode Lottery to significantly expand our services for women survivors of war in Iraq.
Since 2014, Women for Women International has helped to train over 1,200 displaced Syrian, Iraqi and Yezidi women in Iraq, through a network of local partners. An award £200,000 from players of People’s Postcode Lottery enabled us to launch our fully-fledged 12-month programme in Iraq and enrol an initial cohort of 300 women.
Over the year, Syrian and Kurdish women came together to develop an understanding of their legal and human rights, information about health, nutrition and hygiene, and vital vocational and business skills by which to sustain an income through entrepreneurship or employment. The Iraq programme also provided counselling to help women overcome trauma, deal with stress, and build confidence and self-esteem – the first step to rebuilding their lives.
Regular classes enabled groups to form tight social circles of support, breaking the isolation created by conflict and insecurity, and promoting cohesion and trust between women from refugee and host communities.
"Learning how to sew opened my eyes. I always wished to be a tailor, but I didn’t have the money to buy a machine. Now I can work and sew and provide for the family. I want to open a business so I can provide for my children."
Najma fled ISIS-held territory in Iraq with her family in 2016. They settled in a refugee camp in the Kurdistan Region of Iraq, with over 16,000 other refugees and internally displaced people. There she enrolled in our Iraq programme where she learnt to sew.
Celebrating the first graduation in Iraq
Women for Women International - UK’s Director of Fundraising and Marketing, Shivonne Graham, emphasised the impact of this award:
“At a time when one in every 113 people on earth – 65 million in total – have been driven from their homes by conflict, it is more vital than ever to invest in long-term solutions. This begins with providing opportunities and hope for women who have lost everything and shoulder overwhelming responsibilities to care and provide for their families.
This year, players of People’s Postcode Lottery helped 300 women access to our life-changing programme - 300 women who will now have emotional support, skills to earn an income, and confidence to make their voices heard.”
About People’s Postcode Lottery
- People's Postcode Lottery manages multiple charity lotteries (also known as society lotteries). Players play with their postcodes to win cash prizes, while raising money for charities and good causes across Great Britain and globally.
- A minimum of 32% goes directly to charities and players have raised £382 million to date for good causes across the country.
- £10 for 10 draws paid monthly in advance with prizes every day. For further prize information visit: www.postcodelottery.co.uk/prizes.
- Maximum amount a single ticket can win is 10% of the draw revenue to a maximum of £400,000.
- Players can sign up by Direct Debit online at www.postcodelottery.co.uk, or by calling 0808 10-9-8-7-6-5.
- Postcode Lottery Limited is regulated by the Gambling Commission under licences number: 000-000829-N-102511-014 and Number: 000-000829-R-102513-013. Registered office: Titchfield House, 69/85 Tabernacle Street, London, EC2A 4RR.
- For details on which society lottery is running each week, visit www.postcodelottery.co.uk/society.
- Learn more about responsible play including self-exclusion, GamCare, and GambleAware.